chilling injury freezing injury
• Occurs when the external temperature drops below the fr eezmg point ofwater
•Some species that arenot resistant to chill may be killed by the fir touch of frost.
* Occurs in the t emp ei a till e r n nge of approximately 20 toO"C
♦The resultant injures may include a Viridy ofphy Biological disruptions in germination, flower and fruit development, and storage life.
* Minor chilling stress a t non-lethal temperatures is normally reversible. In frost-sensitive plants, those changes are often irreversible
Fig. 5.5 Two types of injuries a plant can sustain through exposure to low temperatures (adapted from Stushnoff et al. 1984)
• Sustain severe injury and are unable to survive at temperatures higher than the water freezing point (5"C, 1CTC and even 15°C).
■Algae inhabiting warm oceans, selected fungi, the inaj ority of lier ba ceous p lants and selected woody vascular plants in ahot climate
* Are further sub divided into two groups a) plants in which all organs are sensitive to chilling, b) plants in which only selected organs a re injured by chilling (e.g. flower priniordia and fruit).
Was this article helpful?
Are you looking for a full total body detox? If so, then you might want to try a 10 day detox or some refer to it as the 2-week detox. A 10-day detox is a full body detox that usually means taking several different steps to reach your total body transformation. It might involve a change in diet, exercise and more.